Friday 17 May 2013

Patriotism.


Patriotism.

I hate all thraldom in my very soul,
And fain would teach my fellows the same creed:
Though laws must be, I spun that strong control
That crushes every truly-manly deed;
And I would give each patriot the meed[1] 5
Of honest praise, and love, and glory due,
When, with a hero’s heart and prophet’s voice,
He stands undaunted, having made his choice
To tear up falsehood, and defend the true.
Oh! now methinks I could freely bleed 10
To serve my country and all human kind;
Or live to teach obedience to those laws
Ordain’d for our behoof[2] by that First Cause
Whom not to serve is madness undefined.

George Markham Tweddell

p. 22 [in Miscellaneous Sonnets]
Guisbrough Exchange, June 18, 1874.
[1 A fitting reward. 2 advantage.]

Note - Patriotism was used in a different, more radical sense back in the Chartist days, to contrast with tyrants. This is the sense in which Tweddell uses the term rather than the modern understanding of the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment